Under the Australian Government Hearing Services Program (the program), the Office of Hearing Services provides eligible clients access to hearing services and hearing devices to help manage their hearing loss.
As an Older Australian if you have a hearing loss, or would like to check if you have a hearing loss, you may be eligible to receive hearing services if you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident aged 26 years or older and meet at least one of the following eligibility criteria
- hold a Pensioner Concession card or
- are in receipt of a Sickness Allowance from Centrelink
- or a dependent of a person in one of the above categories or
- undergoing an Australian Government funded disability management service and have been referred by your disability employment services case manager.
I meet the eligibility criteria, how do I get hearing services?
If you meet the eligibility criteria and wish to apply you can
- Apply online
- Visit your chosen hearing services provider who can apply online on your behalf, or
- Complete the New Client Application Form available on the Client Forms and Publications Page on our website. (Paper applications can take up to four weeks to process)
When applying to the program for the first time your doctor will need to sign medical certificate form. Your doctor will need to confirm that you can be fitted for a device if you need one. Take the medical certificate to your chosen hearing services provider who can complete the application process on your behalf.
How do I access services under the program?
When your eligibility is confirmed the Office will send you a welcome package containing a letter, a copy of the hearing services program information booklet and a list of hearing service providers.
What services can I expect to receive with my hearing services voucher?
Using your voucher you will be able to access a range of hearing services including a comprehensive hearing assessment, access to a wide range of high quality hearing devices, ongoing advice, monitoring and support.
How much will my services cost?
Using your voucher, you can expect the majority of services you receive to be fully subsidised by the Government and provided to you free of charge, including a fully subsidised hearing device.